My Favorite (Arduin) Monsters
The latest thing going on in the blog world seems to be listing your ten favorite D&D monsters. I’m going to be a bit different and list my 7 favorite monsters from the early Arduin Grimoires.
6.Phraints: Erect, metallic colored insect warriors that look like a cross between an ant and mantis, but only have two legs and two arms. They can leap up to 30 feet and do so in battle, tossing javelins at the high point of their leap AND when they land. They are cold, emotionless, and logical. Insectoid Vulcans, basically.
5. Krag Spyders: Motionless, these look like rocks, ranging in size from a pebble to a large boulder. They are extremely patient hunters who pounce on prey when they least expect it. Once not a rest they look something like combination of a giant spider and an large crab (but without pincers). Their poison turns those who fail a save to stone. Their saliva unstones a bite-sized portion which they eat.
4. Screaming Scarlet Itchies: Clouds of gnat-sized scarlet bugs that settle on their target an secrete a liquid that causes a bright red rash and an intolerable itch. Those affected at -3 to everything. Holy water or neutralize poison needed to neutralize.
3. Air Shark: An air-breathing shark that can swim through the air because of its hydrogen-filled bladders. they range from 3 to 24 hit dice, their bit starts at 1d8 for the small ones and reaches 8d10 for the largest. If killed by edged weapons they may explode in a fireball equal to their hit dice.
2. Doomguard: Magically animated black armor (from 1 to 24 hit dice). It can teleport at will (line of sight only) and is 100% immune to fire, lightning, fear, paralysis, confusion, and charm proof. Cold only does 1/2 damage but slows them. They have to be chopped to pieces to stop.
1. Hell Maidens and their Hell Horses: Hell Maidens (5 to 8 HD) are lovely warriors from the neck down, but their heads are skulls. Generally wear chainmail and use a shield, lance, and sword. While they are NOT undead, only silver or magic weapons harm them, they have all undead immunities as will as immunity to confusion and level drains. They ride Hell Horses. They screech and gibber in combat — and collect the bodies of those they kill for food. Unlike their riders, Hell Horses are undead, skeleton horses with cat-like fangs and green flames for eyes. They have 5 to 10 HD. They have all undead immunities, only silver or magic weapons hit, and they hate dwarves, attacking them on sight unless successfully restrained by their rider.