- Download 5516
- File Size 895.42 KB
- File Count 1
- Create Date March 5, 2022
- Last Updated May 15, 2022
The Microlite74 Extended rules are based on the 1974 0e edition of the world’s most popular fantasy roleplaying game with its supplements and material from 0e magazine articles, some 0e third party material, some of the house rules the author used in the 1970s, and selected ideas from other roleplaying games. These rules are not intended to be a clone of the 0e rules, but rather a conversion of them to a rules-lite D20-based system that encourages old-school play without strictly old-school rules.
This book contains the complete rules for Microlite74 Extended. This book includes:
- Simple Character Creation Rules: Roll 4 attributes and select a race, class, background, and alignment.
- Standard Classes: Fighter, Ranger, Paladin, Monk, Magic-User, Illusionist, Cleric, Druid, and Thief
- Backgrounds provide a simple and fast way to factor in a character's culture and non-class-related a abilities.
- Simple and fast-playing combat system that tracks physical damage (aka body points) separately from luck/skill/fatigue (aka hit point) damage.
- Hit points recover with a night’s rest. Spells cost hit points to cast. Actual wounds recover more slowly.
- Rules for hirelings, monster reactions (not every monster wants to fight), morale (not every monster fights to the death), and more.
- A complete list of spells and monsters.
- Compatible with most other 0e based games and adventures
Microlite74 games are trimmed-down miniature versions of the Primary Fantasy SRD rules designed to be quick and easy to play, especially when compared to modern incarnations of the game. The goal of Microlite74 games is to recreate the style and feel of that very first (“0e”) fantasy roleplaying game published back in 1974 without giving up all of the clearer mechanics of modern D20-based versions.
Other versions include Microlite74 Basic and Microlite74 Standard, both of which are closer to the the original 0e rules in that they do not include the author's house rules. Microlite74 Basic rules are complete but basic: There are only three classes (Fighter, Magic-User, and Cleric). Spells are limited and levels top out at 12 to 14. Microlite74 Standard includes many more classes and spells – all over those included in the original edition and its supplements. Microlite74 Companion volumes add even more options.
These rules assume that the GM understands the basic concepts of roleplaying games, but provides information for both the GM and the players on the various “old school” styles of play. Microlite74 games can easily use adventures and material from early editions of the world’s most popular tabletop fantasy roleplaying game or modern clones.