- Download 1724
- File Size 2.27 MB
- File Count 1
- Create Date March 13, 2022
- Last Updated May 15, 2022
The Microlite75 Basic rules are based on three little booklets found in the boxed set of the 1974 original edition (0e) of the world’s most popular tabletop fantasy roleplaying game. The rules are not intended to be a clone of the 0e rules, but rather a conversion of them to a rules-lite D20-based system that encourages old-school play without strictly old-school rules. Microlite75 Basic is based on the third edition of the original Microlite74 rules, modified to use advancement and experience systems closer to those of the original game and including some of more popular systems from Microlite74 Extended (e.g. Body Points and Backgrounds).
Although the Microlite75 Basic rules are complete, they are fairly basic. There are only three classes (Fighters, Magic-Users, and Clerics) -- however, backgrounds allow a great deal of easy character customization. Spells are limited and character levels top out at 12 to 14. Microlite75 Standard and Microlite75 Extended provide more classes and other options.
This book contains the complete rules for Microlite75 Basic. This book includes:
- Simple Character Creation Rules: Roll 4 attributes and select a race, class, background, and (optionally) alignment.
- Limited Classes as in original 0e boxed set: Fighter, Magic-User, and Cleric.
- Backgrounds provide a simple and fast way to factor in a character's culture and non-class-related abilities.
- Simple and fast-playing combat system that tracks physical damage (aka body points) separately from luck/skill/fatigue (aka hit point) damage.
- Hit points recover with a night’s rest. Spells cost hit points to cast. Actual wounds recover more slowly.
- Rules for hirelings; monster reactions (not every monster wants to fight); morale (not every monster fights to the death); strongholds; magical research; dungeon, wilderness and ocean exploration; and more.
- A complete list of spells, monsters, and treasure.
- Compatible with most other 0e based games and adventures.
Microlite75 games are trimmed-down miniature versions of the Primary Fantasy SRD rules designed to be quick and easy to play, especially when compared to modern incarnations of the game. The goal of Microlite75 games is to recreate the style and feel of that very first (“0e”) fantasy roleplaying game published back in 1974 without giving up all of the clearer mechanics of modern D20-based versions.
These rules assume that the GM understands the basic concepts of roleplaying games, but provides information for both the GM and the players on the various “old school” styles of play. Microlite75 games can easily use adventures and material from early editions of the world’s most popular tabletop fantasy roleplaying game or modern clones.