- Download 3676
- File Size 14.15 MB
- File Count 1
- Create Date March 13, 2022
- Last Updated May 15, 2022
Microlite81 Advanced is based on the Basic and Expert boxed sets of the world's most popular fantasy roleplaying game published in 1981 combined with the classes, spells, and treasure from the 1e (advanced) version of the world’s most popular fantasy RPG -- thus recreating the way many people who started with B/X played 1e in the 1980s.
Microlite81 Advanced includes everything one needs to play except dice and paper. The 206 page illustrated rulebook includes:
- Simple Character Creation Rules: Roll 4 attributes and select a class, background and alignment.
- Standard Classes include Fighter, Magic-User, Cleric, Thief, Dwarf, Elf, Halfling
- Optional Classes include Assassins, Barbarians, Bards, Druids, Illusionists, Paladins, Rangers, Warlords, Dragonborn, Half-Orges, Tieflings, and Warforged.
- Two sets of "core" rules: standard and extended. The standard rules are less complex while the extended rules incorporate many of the author's house rules.
- Backgrounds provide a simple and fast way to factor in a character's culture and non-class-related a abilities.
- Simple and fast-playing combat system -- that tracks physical damage (aka body points) separately from luck/skill/fatigue (aka hit point) damage if the extended rules are used.
- Hit points recover with a night’s rest. Spells cost hit points to cast. Actual wounds recover more slowly.
- Rules for hirelings, monster reactions (not every monster wants to fight), morale (not every monster fights to the death), strongholds, magic research, and more.
- Optional rules for advantages and disadvantages, character goals and personality traits, fire-and-forget magic, traditional saving throws, weapon damage by class, armor for everyone, psionics, divine intervention, spirits, aspects, action points, and more
- A complete list of spells, monsters, and treasure with detailed descriptions and random tables for monsters and treasure.
- Compatible with most other B/X, BECMI, or 1e based games and adventures
While Microlite81 Advanced has more details than standard Microlite81 or Microlite81 Extended, these rules still assume a basic familiarity with tabletop role-playing games in general and with the basic principles of “D20” based rules. If you are completely new to tabletop role-playing games, you may want to start by playing with someone who is familiar with how they work. These rules also assume that your Game Master (GM) is at least somewhat familiar with creating dungeons, wilderness areas, and running campaigns.
The Microlite81 Advanced rules are not intended to be a clone of the B/X rules (or the 1e), but rather a conversion of them to a rules-lite D20-based system that encourages old-school play without strictly old-school rules. These rules assume that the GM understands the basic concepts of roleplaying games, but provides information for both the GM and the players on the various “old school” styles of play. Microlite81 games can easily use adventures and material from B/X and other early editions of the world’s most popular tabletop fantasy roleplaying game or modern clones.
Microlite81 games are trimmed-down miniature versions of the Primary Fantasy SRD rules designed to be quick and easy to play, especially when compared to modern incarnations of the game. Just as the goal of our Microlite74 games is to recreate the style and feel of "0e", the goal of Microlite81 games is to recreate the style and feel of the “B/X” edition of the world’s first fantasy roleplaying game published back in 1981 without giving up all of the clearer mechanics of modern D20-based versions.